Saturday, September 24, 2005

L's Garden Checkpoint 6, 10 weeks later, part 2

This morning I noticed a few of the flowers on L's 含羞草, "sensitive plant," or mimosa pudica had been pollinated and were setting seeds.


含羞草 hanxiucao flower and seed pods

Note the little green cells with dark centers (seeds). Only 3 fluffy thistle-like flowers had developed these seed pods.


含羞草 closeup of hanxiucao seed pods

Before I left for UCSB, I took 4-5 gardenia cuttings from various bushes and stuck them in potting soil. Later I stuck plastic baggies over them to up the humidity.


Gardenia Jasminoides 'Mystery" Cuttings, under plastic

While out for my morning constitutional, I noticed a huge jasmine sambac plant growing out on the sidewalk. So I took 2 cuttings from the plant, which looked to be one of the cheaper single-petaled varieties.


茉莉花,Jasminum Sambac cuttings under plastic

Hopefully the cuttings will root within the next month. Next up is L's M. alba, which she potted into a huge 18+ gallon pot since she was afraid its roots would hurt the nearby cement walkway. It is exhibiting new leaf growth, which is reassuring as M. alba dislikes having its roots disturbed.


白玉蘭,yulan new leaf growth

The peppers in the glass plate below were all harvested from L's pepper plant. None of us know what kind the longer red pepper is, but the smaller red ones might be a type of bird pepper called (chil)tepin.


Homegrown peppers

Early this morning I heard cats meowing. Then when I got up to check on L's garden, I saw a little mom cat and 2 babies all snuggled up together for warmth on the neighbor's porch. I guess they chose the neighbor's porch since they don't have any plants or pots obstructing the place.


Stray cats cuddling for warmth on neighbor's porch: mom cat and 2 babies

Anyway I tried to take a closer picture of the 3 cats, but as soon as I took one step closer, the mom cat ran away, followed by one of the babies. They had left behind the smallest one, whom you can see below, who eventually got up to follow its family.


Stray cats disturbed

L said she's seen them around before and she doesn't believe anyone is raising them. Why the mom cat chose our housing complex to live around we have no idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home