Sunday, August 21, 2005

L's Garden Checkpoint 4, part 2: random bits

And here's a day picture of L's sole ripening p. edulis fruit.


Garden checkpoint 4, part 2: Ripening passiflora edulis fruit, day pic

So before people moved into the houses in L's complex, the developer had gardeners plant several cheap trees and shrubs/herbs.

We were able to identify the herbs really easily, but the boring trees have stumped us. Here's a picture of the leaves of 1 commonly planted tree.


Garden checkpoint 4, part 2: another unknown tree

And here's a picture taken from farther away. Can anyone identify what I guess must be a common and cheap tree but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is?


Garden checkpoint 4, part 2: another unknown tree, bark pic

As my dad and I waited for R to come pick me up and then sail away in the Rusty Barnacle back to UCSB, after killing leafhoppers, aphids, and various stinkbeetles, we finally noticed a quasi-good insect: a praying mantis.


Garden checkpoint 4, part 2: Praying Mantis, lateral view

It moved slowly but surely along L's fence's handrail. Eventually we turned our attention away from it, and then it suddenly disappeared. I hope it actively goes after the bad bugs/worms/etc. in the area, but knowing my luck, it will just eat ladybugs and destroy L's plants.


Garden checkpoint 4, part 2: Praying Mantis, frontal view

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home