Friday, September 30, 2005

Houseplants on my windowsill, progress update.

Here are the plants I have upon my windowsill. The plants in the bags are cuttings taken from L's fragrant plants.


Plants on windowsill

The spider plants I took as pups from E's mother plant have long since recovered from their transplanting ordeal on August 12, 2005. They are chlorophytum comosum var vittatum, where the white stripes are along the outer edge of the leaf. Before they were fading, but now they have perked up and gotten darker.


Spider plants as pups from E's mother plant, var vittatum

Next up are the two kinds of spider pups from R's mother's plants. One of the variegatum spider pups isn't doing so well, but I'm not going to toss it till it completely wilts away.


Spider plants R's mother's plants

The gardenia cuttings in 1 cup are doing fine (2 cuttings), while the ones in another cup (3 cuttings) are developing dead dark brown patches on the leaves. I guess I'll have to toss these guys.


Gardenia cuttings in bag

My two jasmine sambac cuttings are doing okay, although one is still bent over. I know I should have removed the flower buds on the larger cutting so that it could concentrate its energy on its roots, but I just wanted to see if the flowers would open while the cutting was trying to root.


Jasmine sambac cuttings in bag

Apparently the blossoms could open. After 1 week from taking the jasmine sambac (single petal variety) from a plant growing out on the sidewalk, one flower bud has opened.


Jasmine sambac cuttings, no bag, facing bloom

Well, I think I'll be removing the other flower buds since my curiousity has been satisfied. I really want the jasmine cuttings to develop good roots. Then maybe I'll give one M.


Jasmine sambac cuttings, no bag, alternate view

One week has passed since I started trying to root the gardenia and jasmine cuttings, so hopefully only 3 more weeks remain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home